- At how it’s been about a year since Hope even knew I existed and how now she wouldn’t dream of calling me anything but “Momma.”
- That I finished my dissertation on time.
- At how quickly she bounces back from a setback now.
- At how our conflicts have changed.
- That she can accept some responsibility for her behaviors now.
- At how effective hypnotherapy can be.
- At how we have defied the first psychiatrist’s horrible predictions about Hope’s prognosis.
- That I have found my inner momma bear.
- That despite adopting an older child I got to briefly experience some aspects of younger child rearing because we needed to address some developmental delays.
- At how each month brings a new developmental challenge that we muddle through.
- At how marginalized she has felt because of race, class, family status.
- At how dismissive she has become of members of her biological family.
- That I haven’t taken every electronic away for more extended periods because they prevent personal engagement and hinder emotional development.
- That she doesn’t want me at the bus stop at all anymore.
September 10th, 2014 at 2:12 pm
A lot of small miracles! And some big challenges. The one about marginalization makes my blood boil for her, and for you.
September 10th, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Awesome accomplishments and a great look at how far the two of you have come together!