For some reason I’ve been pondering my “things to do” lists excessively this week. It’s been busy at work and at home. Band camp is wrapping up, and Hope and I will be sliding into the last week of summer “vacation” this weekend. I’ve got some R&R sans Hope overnight on Saturday and have really tried to keep the rest of the weekend unplanned.
With each week of my life with Hope, I develop a greater appreciation for how hard parenting is and especially how hard single parenting is. In exchange for being the sole decision maker, I am the sole decision maker and sometimes, when big ish is happening, that sucks. Sometimes it’s not even about being a decision maker…sometimes I really just wish someone else was here to listen to Hope drone on about something I find coma-inducing. It’s hard.
I’m blessed, but this blessing has a rough side of the mountain.
Sometimes I feel like I accomplish nothing all day, every day, but I know that’s not true. Just look what I’ve managed this week:
- Why does my dog eat poop?
- How prevalent are heartworms in my area?
- Should I take my poop eating dog to the vet?
- Is clutter a reflection of emotional state (It can be)?
- Can you still buy Calgon Bath Beads (you can, for a ridiculous $12!)?
- Was the Louis Lester Band real? (Currently watching Dancing on the Edge on Netflix.)
- Hope’s new high school’s colors
- Oreo balls (you need these in your life.)
- Punctuation cheat sheets
- Corn chowder recipes
- Crockpot recipes
- Cocktail recipes
- Grammar worksheets
- Natural hair tips
- Other miscellaneous, random stuff.
- Renewed Hope’s library book (failed to pay existing $9 for other late books)
- Called Absurdly Hot Therapist a day early to reschedule appointment due to band related conflict only to find we missed the appointment which was really scheduled for yesterday. #fail
- Volunteered to participate in several band parent related functions in hopes of logging my hours early so I don’t feel guilty for ditching them later in the semester.
- Studied the fall calendar to see of Elihu and I could jet off to the Bahamas for a few days.
- I called ahead to Costco for this week’s pizza order and got there right in time to get a chicken fresh off the rotisserie.
- Made my iced coffee the night before three days this week.
Fitness & Self Care
- Hit my fitbit fitness goal every day and generously exceeded it on most days.
- Used my new faux Pilates toning bar thingy with the stretchy bands.
- I fantasized about spiking my slurpees but didn’t.
- Had a slurpee everyday
- Only 3 glasses of wine this week, and they weren’t even tumbler sized.
- I cooked every day.
- I took walks at work every day.
- I took Yappy to the dog park 3 days this week (he’s so fun to watch that I count this as fitness and self-care).
- The AC in the living room is finally being repaired.
- I painted the door to Hope’s room; still needs another coat.
- I have picked up and tidied Hope’s room a little each morning because I realize that she simply can’t manage it this week.
- After 2 weeks I tackled Yappy’s lair under my bed; the things I found under there are unspeakable.
- I found Hope’s latest food hoarding stash.
- We have nearly finished school shopping.
- I wrote the band director a nasty gram about his comments about Hope’s hair not fitting under the band cap.
- I only deleted 3 of the mazillion band parent emails.
- I vacuumed and mopped.
- I made desserts for the band camp finale dinner.
- I put a fresh bottle of pinot gris in the fridge for Friday night.
I’m tired, a wee bit grumpy and looking forward to a lazy weekend. We are all way more productive than we probably think we are.
Life is hard. Parenting is hard. We all probably should give ourselves a bit of a break, right?